Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Final Paper Proposal: Responding to Students in Online Environments

 Since I took over as coordinator/supervisor for the English Supplemental Instructors in Spring 2009,it has been my aim to accomplish two goals. First, I wanted to make English supplemental instruction more accessible. Currently, we are able to cover with an SI only about 10 sections of English 100 each semester, and, unlike the SI programs in other subjects, English SI cannot offer services to students who are not enrolled in a covered section. (In other words, an SI for math offers a session outside of class each week that students in any section of that math class can attend. English SIs do most of their work in class, so this is not a possibility for other English 100 students.)

Second, I wanted to encourage SIs and other SADC employees to use the technological tools available to them to both encourage more students to utilize our services and to work with the students in an environment that might be more comfortable to them. In my tenure as SI coordinator/supervisor and SADC research and publications coordinator, I have created a Facebook page for SADC, engaged in a long-term project to better their web site, and enrolled my SIs in a Facebook group and Google group to communicate with them online. I also served as the first English SI in an online composition course last summer.

All of this has lead up to my premiere project, an online SI portal for all English 100 students. After discussing my vision with Jackie Reason of SADC and Dr. Bishop Morris last week, I am hoping to pilot the program this spring and launch the program for all ENG 100 students in the fall.

My vision is this:
All ENG 100 students will be enrolled in a Blackboard course upon registration. The course will be stocked with reference materials that the SIs have been developing and will be developing over the course of the semesters that they work for SADC. It will also be "staffed" by one to two SIs who will be available for synchronized chats during certain hours. Asynchronous forums will also be set up--at least one for responses to papers and the other for general questions. In the future, I hope to also establish labs--such as labs for ESL students, students who exhibit difficulties with grammar issues, students who need supplemental instruction in the area of research, etc. Students will also be encouraged to answer their own questions through interaction with each other using the chat and forums feature.

For the final project, then, I plan to research similar programs that may be in use at other universities. I also plan to look into the issues inherent in using digital modes to respond to student writing. Some of the questions I plan to answer include:

1) What challenges is this program likely to face during it's pilot?
2) How should tutors respond to student papers--in the forum itself, by e-mail, using the comment feature in Word, etc.
3) What different challenges will students face during synchronous and asynchronus tutoring sessions.

For the multimodal component of this project, I would like to create a video that will be shown in all ENG 100 sections as an orientation to the new program. The video will explain the reasons behind instituting the program, its benefits, and how to use it.

5 comments:

  1. Miranda! I stalked you from Facebook post!

    I couldn't tell you how many times I wished some of my professors would use blackboard or some kind of outside source as a way for us to peer review our papers outside of class. So much time is wasted in class by us sitting around and talking about papers--and even then what happens if we run out of time and my paper isn't discussed? What happens if I have questions about my paper and the class ended?!?! I'm screwed!! Everyone ran out on me and can't help me whatsoever.

    Going to the writing center works, but getting feedback from other students are in the class helps more since they know what's going on.

    I think you have a really great idea, which makes me wonder why isn't this already going on?! I imagine some of the problems you're going to run into is just technical misunderstandings from both the professors or SIs (whoever is controlling the content on BB) and the students. There should really be a like.. .TECH101 class that teaches students at Purdue what the heck BB is/how to navigate it... oh geez and even their H drives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea here. As you begin to formulate this idea, there is much existing research to tap into for support.

    For example, I would look at: Beth Hewett's Preparing Educators for Online Writing Instruction, which deals with online responding to student writing based on data from the national, private writing center service, smarthinking.com.

    Also, as an earlier source, James Inman's Taking Flight with OWLS.

    And the plethora of research done on synchronous and asynchronous both peer and instructor feedback to student writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would be very interested to know what the current pedagogical research states about the effectiveness of these two types of chat. How could educators make an argument to the institution that such chats are valuable and should be part of the educational experience?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miranda-Love your idea! Very exciting I want, need to take it!! Ask Carrie!
    Hey Carrie- you goddess of the computer- you!? Guess what? They did offer a BB tutorial with scheduled dates, and times.. Oh Man, I showed up one summer(long time ago) and they looked at me like I was an alien. (not saying I'm not) but she (yes, the nice pronoun) said, "well you just click on BB you do know where that is, right?
    Uh, embarrassing.
    So, yes ma'am Miss Miranda great plans! Greatest of Luck. Totally believe in ya!- Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Carrie emphasizes an important point from the student perspective. The times when help is needed most is when you are at home working on your essay. Your professor or an SI is not there to answer those important quesitons. Rarely do the major problems stick out to you during a 30-minute peer review session. Outside of class, these are the times that having an online interface devoted to receiving assistance or finding answers online become essential. What a useful resource for all students at PUC.

    ReplyDelete